Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Venues

The venues list is new. Just last month I missed a free show in Millcreek Park in Youngstown - Big Bad Voodoo Daddy. What is wrong with me?? Free music on the grass, picnic with kids, dancing around in your barefeet, and did I mention it was free? If it weren't for friends who buy t-shirts, I'd never have known what I missed.

So the venue list is starting. House of Blues in Cleveland is up there because it's always a great place and has some excellent shows. Small and friendly. I saw Ben Harper there, Collective Soul, and have tickets for Alice in Chains next month. Diesel in Pittsburgh is on the list not because I've ever been there or heard anything about it, but because Buckwheat Zydeco is coming. Any place that hosts Buckwheat Zydeco gets on the list. On that criteria, I'd better add the Grog Shop in Cleveland. Which also gets points for having hosted Owl City. And I'm being tempted by the 3 hour drive to Columbus to go see Michael Franti and Spearhead at the Newport Music Hall. Never been there, but if I go the show will get reviewed and the hall might make the list.

Feel free to comment with your favorite music spots - I'm a newbie to the area and the best shows always turn out to have come on recommendations.

No comments:

Post a Comment