Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Bob Marley on Noggin

I was sitting at the kitchen table, surfing around for commentary on the new Snow Leopard OS, while my 4 year old daughter watched Noggin on the small tv on the counter. My head popped up in surprise when I heard Bob Marley's Three Little Birds. On Noggin?

The song has special meaning for me. We heard it numerous times in the stressful days (due to a forced move and evil landlord) leading up to our wedding, and called a local KFOG dj (Buzz Lightyear, or a name that sounded like that...) in San Francisco who spent 10 minutes on the phone with us trying to figure out which Bob Marley song it was, based on the lyrics. In the end he couldn't figure it out, but he told us to go buy Legend because if it was a well known song that disc would have it. He was right. To this day we still have the 2 inch tall Buzz Lightyear toy from a local fast food joint during that time, which we keep in memory of his valiant and kindhearted effort on our behalf.

So I knelt down by my daughter's chair and sang the entire song along with the Noggin video. It was lovely, and she pointed to a baby bat and its parent in the video, sitting on a tree branch, and told me the little one was her and the big one was me.

Three Little Birds is my favorite Marley song of all time and this video is a great way to introduce it to little children. There's a reason this song was in the fresh fish iMix from day one.

With a little bit more googling, I found a blog with this commentary (Zooglobble) suggesting that the song is a shortened version of a track from a Ziggy Marley compilation. Ziggy Marley has a new children's cd? Apparently B is for Bob came out this May. It's Bob all the way, but Ziggy compiled the album and re-mixed the songs. They're beautiful and lighthearted. I may be behind the times, but I'm certainly enjoying catching up now!

1 comment:

  1. awww, that's so sweet... i agree with you, a great way to introduce it to little children. (i found you post while searching for the video, i want to put it on my ipod...) and just had to stop and read. it's such a sweet video...

    ReplyDelete