Thursday, March 4, 2010

Rodrigo y Gabriela

Two nights ago at the Byham Theater in Pittsburgh. Left work on the North Shore, zigzagged past Heinz Field and the ballpark, then over the Sixth Street bridge and cheap parking right across from the theater. Five minutes to drive, and five dollars to park. Supper and cosmos at Olive and Twist.

Then across the street to hear first the Alex Skolnik Trio. What a great electric bass, tall and skinny, with the body ending inches beneath the bridge, on a 3 foot spike. Played by a tall thin floppy haired guy who looked like a peanuts character. They played a "little jazz tune by Judas Priest". I could listen to everything produced by Judas Priest and never recognize that song.

But the evening revolved around the utterly fantastic music of Rodrigo y Gabriela. I don't even know where to start in explaining how amazing it was. So I won't. Another few days to recover my senses, and I'll try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment